Solar inverters are a modification of the regular inverter; they convert DC supply to AC supply but are powered by solar energy rather than batteries.As DC flows only in one direction, it is a beneficial choice for providing current when there is no electricity. AC flows in a back and forth motion and it is used to supply many household appliances. The solar inverter can enable devices that are driven by DC supply to work on AC power that is compatible with the available mains supply. The most prominent reason to buy solar inverter online is because they are powered by the sun, which is a renewable source of energy. They are also clean and pollution free alternatives to electric inverters that run on batteries.
Types of solar inverters
- Off-grid inverters- The DC power that is provided to the inverter is produced by a battery panel. The battery panel is driven by solar panels. These inverters work in remote systems. They can be well incorporated with battery chargers which can boost the battery panel from an AC power source.
- Grid tie inverters- Any inverter that includes a grid is called a grid tie inverter. Power is fed to the electricity grid at a particular phase and frequency by the inverter. The range of this frequency is 50 Hz in India and 60 Hz in North America. These inverters are smart enough to shut down when there is a loss of supply from the utility. Solar inverters in India are mainly grid tie inverters.
- Battery backup inverters- Battery backup inverters are created with the sole agenda of drawing energy from a battery. An on-board charger is used to preserve the battery’s charge. The grid gets a transfer of additional energy. Such devices are designed to provide AC power to the required load especially during a power outage. These are well equipped with anti-islanding function.
- Micro Inverters- As the name suggests, they are a modern version of central inverters. They have a small and compact size and they provide great performance. They are packed with all the features of regular central inverters.
The working of solar inverters
- The solar energy captured is converted to its electrical equivalent with the help of photovoltaic cells. During daytime, the battery stores the energy for any operations and save it for use after sun down.
- The DC output of a PV solar panel is converted into a utility frequency AC that can drive a commercial grid that is utilized by a local, offline grid network.
- There are savings of money and energy.
- The greenhouse effect is reduced by using solar powered devices.
- The inverter converts DC into batteries or AC which benefits users who only use partial electricity.
- Commercial establishments can make optimal use of multifunction solar inverters that are powerful and durable.
- These inverters offer cost effective solutions to generators.
- Synchronous solar inverters aid in providing power to small homeowners as well as power companies because of their huge size.
Solar inverters have many applications such as powering TV, refrigerators, and microwave ovens. The DC power can be used for LED night lights and cell phone chargers.